History | Geography | Monography | Coat of arms | Authorities
Official News | Culture | Photo Album | Symbols | Contact Us
<<Back to County tows  
Organisation Chart
Subordinate Institutions
Decentralized Public Services
Town Halls

     Sângeorgiu de Padure, which became a town in 2003, is located on the middle stream of the Târnava Mica.
     The settlement is a most ancient one, traces from the Bronze and the Iron Ages were discovered. Documentary evidence dates from 1333, in the papal registers, under the name of Sancto Georgio. One of the most important monuments in Sângeorgiu de Padure is the Rhédey Palace, built by the Rhedey Laszlo family in a Baroque style (1807-1809).
     The Gothic Church dating from the XIVth century is also a monument. It was restored in 1935 thanks to Queen Mary of England, great-granddaughter of count Rhedey and grandmother of Queen Elisabeth II of Great Britain. The grave of Claudia Rhedey, grandmother of Queen Mary of England, is placed in the crypt of the Reformed Church.

     The village of Bezid was first mentioned in documents in 1566, though the Gothic Church is much older. Bezidul Nou was practically "swallowed" when a water storage dam was built to prevent the frequent floods in the area. The unflooded houses, though fallen into disrepair, are still inhabited. Chalets have been built by the lakeside, as people are attracted by the opportunities of recreation offered to them: bathing, fishing, sailing etc.
     Sângeorgiu de Padure is the birthplace of Bodor Peter (1788-1849), the builder of the "singing well", a pride of Târgu Mures in olden times.